Saturday 23 April 2011

Physical Learning Log

At the beginning of this course I also decided to keep a physical learning log seeing that some things that I had looked at or random thoughts might not translate directly into my Blog. I also hoped to gather images and visit exhibitions which although I intended to comment on in full on-line would be a suitable way of filing all the "paperwork". Also an excellent place to keep the correspondence between myself and my tutor.

I started it not quite knowing how it would turn out or if I was headed in a direction that would work both for me and also at assessment level. It was great when a video of Rob's log was shown on WeAreOCA because it made me feel confident I was along the right lines.

Having spoken to some fellow students on the study day I promised I would upload some images of what my log looks like...the kind of things I had included and how, so here it is a rather fat A5 spiral note book with random jottings and scribbles....


In the beginning was an A5 spiral notepad....












Which gradually got filled with "stuff" and became fatter...
Notes of useful websites or things I found amusing that were relevant, some were printed out and I commented on why I liked them...
Extracts from books with highlights and things I wanted to take on board...
Linking to exercise 1 and portraits, some shots I had previously taken of people unaware in Convent Garden trying to capture character...
More observations on the different styles of capturing portraits taken from local and national papers...
Comments on Project 2 and the lighting set up I used indoors....
Observations on exhibitions visitied either last year or previously which connected with the Paul Graham video on the OCA website...
Using extracts from Posing Techniques for Photographing Model Portfolios I compared their ideas to a recent shoot my daughter had had done at one of these makeover places...they have a lot to learn ;o) It showed me some useful pointers too..
Research on magazine covers for Project 4

Research on "posing" shoes for my final project..
More research on shoes and a print out of images by Joy Gregory who I used as an influence/reference.
Exhibition visited...











Another Exhibition visited....

Printed out images for sharpening exercise which the results can't really be seen when images uploaded to blog...











The rest is more or less the same, observations on exercises, exhibitions seen comments on photographs or philosophy and what I have learnt or hope to learn all rolled into one. My online blog is more organised, methodical and completed in full sentences. Items were stapled in, glued in or masking taped in depending on what seemed most appropriate. My notes are more scribbled and random but hopefully together show my progression with learning from beginning to end, how I got where I am now and where I hope to go next :o) Hope this post is useful to others.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Jan. It looks full of ideas and very creative.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete